Filed ITR for FY19? Here’s how to check return status online.
NEW DELHI: Individuals who have filed their Income tax returns (ITRs) can view the status online to make sure that it has been accepted and processed by the tax (I-T) department. August 31 was the last date for filing ITR for the financial year 2018-19 (FY19).
Once returns are filed and verified by the taxpayers, the I-T department starts processing it to check for any discrepancies between the income declared, and taxes paid. After the processing is complete, taxpayers can get confirmation on the website. Refunds, if any, are processed only when the procedure is complete.
Here’s how you can check your ITR status online:* Go to the e-filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in* On the homepage, click on ‘ITR Status’ option given on the extreme left under the quick links tab
* You will be redirected to a new page where you need to enter your permanent account number (PAN), ITR acknowledgement number and the captcha code.
* After filing in the details, click on ‘Submit’. Your ITR status will be displayed on the screen.
Alternatively, you can also check your ITR status by using your login credentials. Here’s how it can be done:
* Login to the e-filing website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in using your login credentials (user ID and password)
* Click on the dashboard tab and select ‘View Returns/Forms’
* On the next page, select ‘Income Tax return’ and enter the relevant assessment year, then click ‘Submit’
* Your ITR status will be displayed on the screen.
Data released by the I-T department showed that over 49 lakh returns were filed on the last day of the filing period. There was a 4 per cent increase in filings for financial year 2018-19, compared with 5.4 crore returns that were filed up to August 31, 2018. Total returns filed up to August 31 were 5.65 crore.
It must be noted that if you haven’t filed your returns yet, you can still do it by paying penalty.