In this article, we will explain why one would want to add new member details to their Ration Card and explain how to go about doing so.
The Ration card is an important legal document issued by the Government of India to its citizens. Its importance is derived from its 2 key roles:
- It enables economically disadvantaged citizens to access heavily subsidised essential commodities such as Rice, wheat and Kerosene through the public distribution system. In fact, this system is solely responsible for allowing millions of poor Indians to meet their most basic needs.
- It is one of the few legally recognized identity and residential address proof documents. It is also one of the easiest to procure as the documents necessary for it are flexible and accommodate a wide range of citizen situations.
The Ration Card is issued to families rather than individuals- a fact which has important implications. If the Public Distribution System has to run efficiently and truly meet the needs of the poorest sections of Indian society, certain conditions have to be met. It should be ensured that each Indian is listed under the family card of only one household.
Duplication will give certain families more commodities than they are legally entitled to, at the cost of others. However, life circumstances require family lists to continually change. Members may leave or join a family as a matter of life course.
For example, marriage will require the bride to leave her family of origin and either join her in-law’s household, or create a new household with her husband. Since each household is allocated a specific amount of each commodity, additions and deletions from the household should be tracked seamlessly and entailment must be adjusted accordingly.
When To Add New Member In Ration Card ?
There are two cases under which members will have to be added to the family card of another household:
- When new members are born or adopted
- Through marriage (it should be ensured that the new member’s name is first deleted from the existing household list, and a deletion certificate is secured)
Upon applying for the updated ration card, an addition certificate is issued and the ration allotted to the family increases.
You can apply for an addition of a new member to your ration card both online and offline.
Adding Name Of A New Born Child In Ration Card
When a new baby is born in family, you can submit an application to add the kid’s name in ration card. You will have to carry following documents to request for name inclusion in ration card.
- Birth certificate of the child issued from municipality or corporation.
- Original ration card of the family.
- Aadhaar card for the verification of ration card holder.
You can ask the allocated ration shop for the member inclusion form for ration card.