NEW DELHI: It’s bonanza time for 33 lakh central government employees as the Modi government has decided to clear their annual bonus dues, which was pending for the past two years.
The likely financial implications of the bonus move will translate into Rs 1,920 crore per annum.
“The bonus entitlement for 2014-15 and 2015-16 will be released on the revised norms for central government employees. This was pending for two years. After this, the bonus will be covered under the 7th Pay Commission,” Jaitley said.
Jaitley gave an assurance that they will also take necessary steps to resolve the cases on payment of bonus pending in High courts and the Supreme Court.
BJP-led NDA government has raised the minimum wage by 42%, a significant revision since 2008 besides deciding to release bonus for central government employees, based on the revised norms.
Meanwhile, the government also announced a hike in minimum wage for unskilled non-agricultural workers of the central government to Rs 350 a day, from the current Rs 246. The announcement comes ahead of all central trade unions barring RSS-affiliated BMS going on a nationwide strike on September 2.
Jaitley also said that the government will take necessary steps to resolve the cases on payment of bonus pending in High Courts and the Supreme Court.
“The government has refused to listen to reason on minimum wages as they are not willing to meet our demands for Rs 600 per day for unorganized workers. Therefore, we have resorted to strike,” said G Devarajan, general secretary, All India Forward Bloc political party.
“The issue of giving social security benefit to the unorganised sector (like Anganwadi, mid-day meal, Asha volunteers) will be examined by a committee which will give its report at the “earliest”,” Jaitley said.
He also said, “I think we have responsible trade unions.”
Jaitley, who is chairman of the inter-ministerial committee on labour set up last year, announced the pro-worker decisions of the government based on the recommendations of the inter-ministerial committee. Bandaru Dattatreya and Piyush Goyal were also present.
Following this announcement, Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya urged all central trade unions to reconsider their decision for the proposed strike in the interest of the nation.
As many as 10 central trade unions have given a call for a one-day pan-India strike on September 2, 2016, to protest against the government’s labour reforms and “not paying heed to their demands”.